April 11, 2013

We're Number One!


Every morning and every evening I check where 101 Contrarian Ideas... is on Amazon's advertising book chart. And every morning and every evening it's the same -- #2 behind David Ogilvy.

This has been going on for months. Every now and then it will drop down to #3, but then it pops back up to #2.

Obviously, with 19,352 books in their advertising category, there's nothing wrong with being #2. Whining about it is just evidence of being stupid and self-absorbed. Especially if it was you. But it's not. It's me.

And then tonight it happened.

A few minutes ago I checked and there it was at #1. I don't know why the hell this is so important to me -- I don't make any money on these fucking books and no one gives a shit about them but me -- but I have to admit, it is.

By the time you read this it will probably drop back down. But I don't care. For one shining moment I had Amazon's best-selling advertising book.

Thank you to all the people who have bought the book and recommended it to others. To those who have not bought it, WTF?

8 comments:

Erin Rose Pfeifer said...

Search engine optimists also derive great pleasure from being #1. Looks like you're not all that different from an SEO. Ponder that one, Bob.

adcontrarian said...

I only know search engine pessimists

Copywriter Northern Ireland said...

You're welcome.

Philip Bird said...

Must have been the copy I bought on Wednesday that did it

Sinjin Eberle said...

I give a shit about them...I bought two copies and have one sitting here next to my desk so that I can reference it when I see some social meeedia noob ranting about how they are having conversations and creating customer value through some platform that only 0.3% of the world knows about...

Boom.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I am experiencing a few of these issues as well.
.

My page: diet plans that work

Oscar said...

Make it available through Amazon in the UK and I'll give you one more sale.

adcontrarian said...

Oscar,

It's available as an ebook at Amazon in the UK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Contrarian-Ideas-About-Advertising-ebook/dp/B006CRF1OK/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365866514&sr=1-1&keywords=101+contrarian+ideas+about+advertising). I don't know why the print version isn't available but I'll look into it.